The Acura RDX got a redesign for the 2019 model year, and our readers gave our critique of the compact SUV a place among the top five most-read reviews of the week. Cars.com reviewer Jennifer Geiger had praise for nearly every aspect of the overhauled RDX, from its out-there exterior styling to its luxurious interior appointments and premium features.
Related: More Expert Car Reviews
One thing, however, gave Geiger pause: the brand’s new multimedia system, called True Touchpad Interface. A touchpad controls a host of features on the 10.2-inch multimedia screen, but rather than clicking or dragging, areas on the touchpad are mapped to areas on the screen, so a tap on the touchpad is like a tap on a touchscreen. Makes sense, right?
“Like a fifth-grader’s volcano that erupts too soon at a science fair, the system is an experiment gone wrong,” according to Geiger.
What should be simple tasks took multiple attempts and a lot of trial and error to accomplish — neither of which is a great idea if you’re operating a moving vehicle — and Geiger said she was never able to get used to it during her time driving the RDX. You’ll have to read the review to see if she found this to be a fatal flaw or just a blemish in an otherwise positive experience.
On the video side of things, the results of our recent 2018 Subcompact SUV Challenge take over the top spot this week. If you’re in the market for a subcompact SUV, it’s a can’t-miss. Rounding out the top five videos are a look at the new Ram Rodeo Longhorn trim for the brand’s heavy-duty trucks; what makes the 2018 Audi A4 such a well-rounded winner; that time we drove a Lamborghini Huracan Performante around a track; and our First Drive of the redesigned 2019 Nissan Altima.
Top 5 Reviews
1. 2018 Land Rover Range Rover Review: Plush and Poised, With a Push-Button Problem
2. 2019 Acura RDX Review: Major Multimedia Misfire
3. 2019 Mazda CX-3 Review: Good Things, But in a Small Package
4. 2018 Nissan Kicks Review: Impressive Value and Utility Without AWD
5. 2018 Ford Expedition Review: A Massive Improvement
Top 5 Videos
1. What’s the Best Subcompact SUV for 2018?
2. 2018 Ram Heavy-Duty Rodeo Longhorn: First Look
3. What Makes The 2018 Audi A4 A Winner?
4. 2018 Lamborghini Huracan Performante
5. 2019 Nissan Altima: First Drive
Cars.com’s Editorial department is your source for automotive news and reviews. In line with Cars.com’s long-standing ethics policy, editors and reviewers don’t accept gifts or free trips from automakers. The Editorial department is independent of Cars.com’s advertising, sales and sponsored content departments.